The "Cube" - does anyone have the recipe?

New to Bourbon

The "Cube" - does anyone have the recipe?

Postby jberner » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:19 pm

I know purists would probably hate this idea, but does anyone have the recipe for "The Cube"? I had a bourbon drink at "Lucky's" in Roanoke, Virginia and they have this wonderful spicy frozen cube that tasted of muddled apples, cloves and other stuff and then poured bourbon over it. As the cube melts, the flavors got even better. I would love to serve this as a holiday drink.
jberner

Re: The "Cube" - does anyone have the recipe?

Postby nanodistiller » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:12 pm

I do a few things with my cubes. I will extract essential oils and use them in the water it seems to work well. If you do not have an essential oil distiller you can do an ethanol extraction by using some high proof grain or vodka and toss in your peels or herbs. Then allow to soak for a few weeks and strain off the alcohol. Dilute down as this stuff wont freeze and pout into your ice cube treys. Also teas work nicely as well for ice. I like a little early grey ice cube with my rye.

It isn't "wrong" to do it. But it is all about personal preference. It does add a lot of complexity to your drink. What happens when you have a lot of extract left over? Take some neutral alcohol about 100mL add your extracts a little at at a time. When it gets to a nice smell add 3-4 drops of glycerine to it. Use it as an aftershave. Works nicely! I like a cinnamon citrus with some bay leaf myself.

JC
Wanting to learn about distilling? Visit us at NanoDistiller.org!
nanodistiller

Return to New to Bourbon