Marrying a bourbon drinker

New to Bourbon

Marrying a bourbon drinker

Postby bourbonfiance » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:45 pm

Hi all,
I have actually been following Blake's blogs here for awhile now, but figured I would officially contribute. My fiancé is a huge fan of Blanton's, which has managed to go the way of Pappy and disappear from shelves up and down the East coast. His parents who live in Kentucky can't even buy Blanton's. We're getting married in September, and I have had a custom engraving on a crystal decanter and bourbon glasses made for his groom's gift. All that is missing is a nice bottle of bourbon to go with it. I saw that bourbon r has listed a Blanton's Gold, has anyone tried this who likes Blanton's? And more importantly, can I find it? I'm taking a cross-country road trip this summer so I will be all over, as NOrth Carolina has horrible restrictions and selection at the state owned ABC stores. Had a bit of luck in Virginia and found some Elmer T. Lee. I've given up on finding a bottle of Pappy's for his gift, but does anyone have another recommendation (that's actually buy able/findable?)

Any help is appreciated,
bourbonfiance

Re: Marrying a bourbon drinker

Postby jfarr63 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:06 pm

I live in KY, in Elizabethtown and have no trouble finding Blanton's. As far as alternatives, there are quite a few, depending on his palate. If you can get someone to go to the Woodford Reserve Distillery, then the new Double double oaked is pretty tasty. I am also a fan of some cask strength. For some, they find it too spicy. Again, this is a matter of palate. Jim Beam has a couple to recommend. Either Bookers, or Bakers. Basil Hayden as well. I like some of the higher premium Evans Williams. Four Roses Small Batch is good, and smooth. Usually pretty easy to find. Larceny is okay. Knob Creek as well. Finally, I cannot end without mentioning the Wild Turkey 101 or Rare Breed.
jfarr63

Return to New to Bourbon