Bourbon Trail/Distillery Tours

Bourbon Discussion

Bourbon Trail/Distillery Tours

Postby simplybourbon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:08 pm

Taking the day off from work tomorrow to go do a couple distillery tours.
I'm planning to start at Wild Turkey and then head to Four Roses.

Has anyone been to Wild Turkey since they opened the new Visitor's Center last week?

I might have time to squeeze in a third distillery - any thoughts on Woodford vs. Town Branch vs. Barrel House?
simplybourbon

Re: Bourbon Trail/Distillery Tours

Postby dr.booze » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 pm

Have fun last time to WT was in september so no insights on the new center
dr.booze

Postby simplybourbon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:37 am

Managed to hit 4 distilleries: Wild Turkey, Four Roses, Woodford and Town Branch.

Wild Turkey's new visitor's center is fantastic. Lots of cool info and history to explore before or after a tour. Their tour was also the best, but part of that was because we got an awesome tour guide.

I didn't manage to do a tour at Four Roses - would have had to wait 45 minutes until the next one and I'm not that patient.

I had done Woodford about 5 years ago, but I must say their renovated visitor's center is really well done. Definitely has an upscale feel to it. I really like their tour too... There's just something cool about going into the rack house and seeing all those barrels aging.

Town Branch was the most unique and intimate. The tour includes the brewery and distillery with a tasting in each.

Each tour presented a mix of facts and lore presented as facts and were all watered down for the masses, so focused more on defining bourbon and giving a little bit of history of bourbon. I think there's a ton of opportunity for the tours to embrace their brands and really help the people on the tour understand and appreciate what makes them special and the history of how they got from their beginning to today.

Still going to try to find some time over the next month or so to visit the other 4 spots so I can earn my free t shirt :)
simplybourbon

Postby dr.booze » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:15 pm

could not agree more on your comments of Town Branch. The beer tour was nice too and I love the vats right in the VC.

Next time try some of the micro distillers like Barrel house really small scale and fun
dr.booze

Postby jfarr63 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:26 pm

I personally found the Town Branch the most disappointing. They have only one bourbon and the rest is beer. If I wanted a beer tour, I would not have chosen to go on the Bourbon trail. also, when we walking through the place they fill the barrels we had to walk over pools of beer or bourbon. Pretty sad looking.

I liked the Buffalo Trace tour. The Evans William experience is all inside, so it is a good tour for bad weather. Woodford Reserve was good. My favorite was WT as well, but I was fortunate to win a chance to have a private tour with Jimmy Russell. Four Roses is nice. The best organized was Woodford Reserve, imo. They had a large group, but everyone got a headset to be able to hear the tour guide.
jfarr63

Postby mattl » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Done about all of them and listing in order of which ones I would go back to.
1 Willett
2. Wild Turkey
3. Buffalo Trace
4. Woodford Reserve
5. Barton's
6. Heaven Hill
7. 4 Roses
Like Willett as they are small and only work 40 Barrels a day. Tour was interesting and tasting was great! I stop there every time I am in Bardstown!
Wild Turkey is scenic and historic. Highlight was Eddie Russell signing my bottles in the gift shop!
Been to Buffalo many times and it is always a great stop!
Woodford is very upscale and love the tour and tasting!
4 Roses was a let down as they do not bottle on site and my least favorite on the trail!
mattl

Return to Bourbon Discussion